Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm shedding!

You know...I think somewhere in my genetic mix, there must be a little bit of Irish-setter. Twice a year...I go though these shedding phases, and everywhere you look, my car, my desk, my bathroom counter and floors you see hair. Honestly, it just grosses me out.

Before I leave for work every morning, I have to roller lint my shoulders nearly all the way down to my waist. Unfortunately, my boobs seems to catch the majority of the hair, and if it weren't for the clothes I am wearing, I would only look one step above Cro-Magnon woman...only with hairy boobs. Groketta. If they ask me to start appearing in those Geico commercials, it's gonna be "on".





It's when I start shedding like this that I think about cutting my hair short again. In fact, several years ago, I did cut it to my shoulders, and it looked cute for all of about 2 days. By Day Three, I dearly missed my ponytail and all I could produce was a sad pathetic looking pony-nub. Despite the fact that I looked ridiculous, I still wore it anyway, and my face, chubby even on my thinnest days, began to resemble that of a chipmunk, preparing for winter. Nice.

[Hmmm...*maybe*...this isn't my best look. ]

So, I immediately began growing it out again. Two years later, it's almost down to my bra-strap, and fairly healthy. With the exception of the profuse shedding. My friend Mitzi suggested that maybe I was "molting". hmmm....shedding just sounds so much better.

At one point, I decided to speak to my doctor about this, wondering if I had some sort of thyroid problem. He assured me that hair loss was normal, and that I had nothing to worry about. Hmmm...REALLY? I mean, I had to call a plumber out to the house to snake the drain in my shower due to all of the hair clogging it up. Is that normal?

Is it normal for my husband to wake up one morning, go to use the bathroom, only to find that one of my long hairs has somehow wrapped itself around his "junk", strangling it to the point of cutting off circulation? AND that it has happened more than once! That's normal? Let me tell you what, both times, although he loves my hair, he has threatened to cut it all off himself if "something wasn't done".

So, I started taking hair and nail horse-pills vitamins again. After a month of that, the hair loss has slowed down, and my nails (particularly my toenails) are veritable daggers, and very difficult to cut without "heavy duty" clippers. If it gets to the point where I need to trim them using a bench grinder, then I will probably slow down on the horse-pills. Until then...this seems to be helping.

However, if you run into me...and notice that I am covered in hair, just keep it to yourself. Trust me, I get it. :)

No comments: