Monday, June 1, 2009

I am a bad wife...

Sometimes.

My husband was very sick awhile back. There he was, laying next to me in the bed shaking, with a high fever, seemingly freezing cold, yet enough heat coming off of him to fry bacon. One minute he was buried underneath several blankets, the next, even a sheet grazing his baby toe was intolerable to him. He tossed, he turned, he moaned, he flung covers off and on and then begged for more covers.

I truly felt awful for him...he was so delirious and I could only make out 1 of every 10 words he said. I pondered moving to the couch, but he seemed insistent that I stay. Misery loves company, I suppose. Late that night, he woke me up, mumbling something...incoherent. Red Koolaid...mumble mumble....advil...mumble mumble...that was all I got.

Off to the kitchen I went and made him some red Koolaid and brought him three Advil. My work here is done.

Several hours later, his fever broke. Mercifully. I knew that this had happened because one minute I was dry and the next, I thought I may have had "an accident" as the sheets and everything else were soaked. Ahhh...I guess that's what they mean to sweat out a fever. *gross* I watched him slumber peacefully for a few minutes, before I went and changed clothes and moved myself to the couch.

The next morning, he asked me why I didn't take him to the hospital the previous night.

Damyankee: Huh? What do you mean? You were just running a fever. It's not like you had blood coming out of your eyeballs or anything.

Him: I begged you to take me to the hospital.

Damyankee: No..no...you asked me for some red Koolaid and some Advil, which is what I brought you.

Him: Nooo...I sure didn't. I thought I was dying and I was begging you to get me to the hospital and all you brought me was some Koolaid and Advil. I thought maybe you were trying to kill me.

Damyankee: Wow. I had no idea that's what you were saying, you were so delirious. And you know perfectly well if I was trying to kill you, I would make it look like an accident. *grin*

Him: blink.blink..........blink.

[the operation was called hobbling]

Sometimes he just doesn't appreciate my sense of humour. :)

No comments: