Saturday, May 16, 2009

Do squirrels have boogers?

I was driving my 3 year old son, Cole, to daycare one morning last month. It was a quiet drive, neither of us saying much. Out of nowhere:

Cole: Momma, do squirrels have boogers?

I looked at him in the rear view mirror to determine the seriousness of his question. His eyebrows were furrowed as if he had been pondering this great mystery for some time. Maybe even a whole 3 minutes. Since I had never before given any thought to animal boogers, I took a minute or so myself.

Damyankee: Well, son, I will be honest, I have never seen a squirrel booger. But, if I had to guess, I would say....yes, they probably do have boogers. (that's my final answer...what do I win?)

He, too, was quiet for another minute or so. I figured he was probably thinking about how a squirrel would go about picking their nose. (I know I was)

Cole: Well, I have boogers. (he proudly held one up for me to see).

*sigh*...good thing I keep several boxes of Kleenex in the car.

Most children are very good at throwing parents for a loop when they least expect it. I am sure it's to keep us on our toes. While the squirrel booger was a new one for me, he is also very good at saying the wrong thing to other people at inappropriate times, much to my embarrassment.

For instance, we went out to dinner last night, taking Cole with us. Sometimes he can be very good in restaurants, sometimes we are better off getting our food to go as he has a hard time sitting still and hasn't discovered his "inside voice". Hindsight being what it is, I wish we would have just eaten takeout.

While we waited to be seated, the hostess, a very nice middle aged woman was chatting with Cole. She asked him how old he was, what his name was, did he like school, etc. Eventually, she told him that he was so cute that she wanted to pinch his fat cheeks.

Cole: (eyebrows furrowed) What'd you say?

Hostess: I said that your fat cheeks are so cute I just want to pinch them! (she demonstrates on herself).

Cole: Well, you gotta fat booty.

(Oh, please don't let him have said what I think he just said.)

Hostess: Pardon?

Cole: You gotta fat booty?

(Yep, that's what I thought he said.)

Damyankee: Cole, that was ugly, you don't say that.

Cole: Well, she does gotta fat booty! (pointing)...Look! See? It's fat.

*sigh*....we are never going to get seated now.

No comments: