Sunday, May 24, 2009

Crazy...

One of my very favorite songs, Crazy, by Gnarls Barkely has been around not quite 15 years. For a long time, I thought it was an old song by Al Green. It sure sounds like something he would sing. My dad has listened to Al Green since I was a youngling, and I can remember being maybe 4 years old sitting in the backseat of my parents Cutlass Supreme singing the lyrics to "Let's Stay Together". Nobody can sing R&B like a 4 year old. "Why somebody, why people break up....Oooh, turn around and make up I just can't seeeeeeeee".

Recently, we were slow cruising out on my dads boat, and Crazy was one of the songs playing on my iPod. He heard the first few lines of it, and said..."I LIKE THAT!". I knew you would.

I have heard that the writer of Crazy had been told, repeatedly, that an artist had to be genuinely crazy, in order to achieve true success. There is probably some truth in that. Many great writers, musicians and painters have certainly led...mmm...colorful lives, to put it conservatively.

Personally, I think the song is about self-awareness. While I am not certifiably crazy (so I have been told), I know that at times, I am a little off my rocker. I am completely aware of these moments...and instead of fighting them off, like we are conditioned to do, I now embrace them. Between the heightened senses and the clarity of ideas, thoughts, and images that flow in my mind much faster than my fingers can type, or my mouth can speak, I know I am entering the proverbial zone.

If you have not been in the zone, all you have to do is just let go...for a little while.

"Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place.
Even your emotions had an echo
In so much space

And when you're out there
Without care,
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
probably

And I hope that you are having the time of your life
But think twice, that's my only advice

Come on now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are,
Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control

Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
Just like me

My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinking, I want to be like them
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little it looked like fun
And it's no coincidence I've come
And I can die when I'm done

Maybe I'm crazy
Maybe you're crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

Uh, uh

No comments: