Monday, April 20, 2009

Dr. Visits Part II...

Another recent visit to my regular dr. in town didn't go as planned either. I was very sick. I had been running a fever for days, throat killing me, sinuses killing me, it even hurt to pee. So, I broke down and made an appointment.

This particular dr. runs a pretty tight schedule, and gets you in…and out. No time for leisurely reading here. Not that there is anything to read.

So, he diagnoses me with strep throat, ear infection, sinus infection, bronchitis and a bladder infection. He admonished me for not coming in much sooner, but I told him that I was hoping that it was just going to "go away". Haha.

It was decided that I was going to be getting a decadron shot in addition to a 10 day course of Biaxin. The big guns. So, his nurse has me stand on the floor with my pants down around my ankles, bending over the table so she can give me a shot in my hiney. Honestly, I was too sick to care where she put the shot.

I felt it go in, and I could feel her PUSHING me from behind. Which was weird for a whole lot of reasons I am not going to list here. Then I heard her grunt…while still pushing. Again…weird. She then told me that she couldn't get the stuff to come out of the needle, so she was going to try the other cheek. Like I said…I was pretty sick…I didn't care.

So, she sticks it in…pushes some more, grunts some more…and then I heard: "plink".

The unmistakable sound of a needle that has just broken off…while in your butt.

I heard her say, "Oh *&^%$ ...hang on baby, don't go anywhere, I have to go and get some forceps".

Now, I don't know about you…but where in the hell was I going to go…with my pants hanging around my ankles, blood dripping down from both sides of my buttcheeks and a broken needle sticking out of it? I really didn't see myself just wandering about the waiting area "socializing" given the circumstances. Do you mind if I borrow that magazine? I am just waiting for her to get back and dig this out of my rear.

She comes back, retrieves the needle, puts some sponge-bob square pants bandaids on each of my 'cheeks and I see that she has another shot. I chose this time to speak up and inform her that this was her final chance. If she couldn't get this to go in, we were going to have to consider other options.

Well, this shot worked…Oh…MY…GOSH…that stuff sucks. It's thick…and cold, and I honestly felt better with the broken needle in my butt. So, I finally get to leave…and can hardly sit down in my seat to drive home. It's hard to drive with your back pressed up against the seat, and your butt suspended in the air. I don't know how, but I made it home, got out of the car, limping…on both legs. Lol...

I wish I could say these were the only two incidents like this…sadly, they are not. These sorts of things happen about 75% of time with all of my dr/dentist visits down here, hence the reason I get so anxious when I know I have to go in.

No comments: