Wednesday, April 22, 2009

He was right, and I was wrong...

Last weekend my husband mentioned that he lost his hairbrush. Actually, he lost one of *my* hairbrushes that he has borrowed on a permanent basis from me a few years back. He went to visit his parents, and somehow managed to lose it there. That's pretty much a gone brush as far as I am concerned. He asked if I would get him another one.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was one of those ridiculously expensive boars hair brushes that I "had to have" because I read somewhere that they were good for long hair.


ridiculously expensive Mason Pearson Brush he stole from me

While I *liked* the brush, I didn't love it, so it didn't bother me that much that he took it. However, it *was* going to bother me to replace it...as I am in a frugal stage of life and don't spend that kind of $$ on frivolous things. (unless it is on me of course) Not to mention, I didn't want him to know what I had spent on it in the first place. Some things are just better left unsaid, you KWIM?

So I told him I was "all over it". Later that weekend, I found myself at Kroger and wandered down the hair care aisle and spied a brush that looked kinda similar. I thought to myself, just because it is made by 'Titan', doesn't mean that it is crappy brush. It cost about the same as a Conair or Goody, so I figured it would be fine. I bring it home, all proud of myself for finding one that was under $170.00. What a bargain.

So, he looks at it and says..."Um, Lee...why....(I can see he is trying to choose his words here)...why, would you buy me a black persons hair brush"?

WHAT? I did not! That's made for....non-black people. In fact, that's made for... straight haired Asian type people. I go on stating my case further that there were no black people on the packaging, and it didn't have a picture of white people on it with a circle around them and a line drawn through. He is shaking his head the whole time, looking at me like "Helloooo this is Earth, have we met?". I tell him that that brush is exactly like the one he had before, and that I didn't want to hear another word about it. He then argues that he has had to go through many peoples cars...both black and white. AT NO TIME did he ever find a brush like this in a white persons car. In FACT, he had seen many of these exact brushes and they all had black owners.

Pfff...whatever. He is really ruining my good bargain "chi".

He takes it out of the packaging and proceeds to "brush" his hair.

I know I can be jaded, but even this surprised me: I would say the brush acted as more of an intense exfoliant than anything else. I didn't see the bristles bend...not even a millimeter. Really, it had the stiffness of.... a dog brush. Even Rufus eyeballed it and left the room just in case it was going to get used on him. I didn't tell Lloyd this, but I could see with each stroke he made, that skin (and hair he doesn't really need to lose) were being sloughed off in great quantities onto the kitchen floor. I made a mental note to steam mop later.

OK...so, the brush is a little stiff. I am sure that it has to get broken in, or something. Jeez. What a baby. Nothing else is said, but this past week I noticed another one of my favorite brushes was missing. I feel certain he is hiding it in his smelly patrol car.

So I find myself at Rite-Aid today, and cruised down the hair care aisle (as I always do...they have good stuff!). Guess what I should see? The *same* hairbrush I had bought for him on Saturday...with (evidently more) updated packaging than the one Kroger was carrying.



Huh!! What do you know? I guess it is made for black people. So, I took a picture of it with my camera phone and sent it in a text to him telling him that he was right, and I was wrong. Within seconds...he calls me back, (a little panicked)..."Lee, tell me you didn't buy me another black person hairbrush!". (lol)Nooo...I was just letting him know to mark his calendar that I was admitting I was wrong. As I said before, I *really* feel like this hair brush needs to break in and I am sure he will be using it in no time. ;)

No comments: