Sunday, April 19, 2009

Shopping, it does the body good...

Orginally posted February 16, 2007...

I have been so good about not spending money (on myself) for a very long time now. No new shoes...no new clothes, no facials, manicures, pedicures...nada. I have been wearing the same coat for the last 6 years. I even switched to *gasp*...drug store skin care products, anad for the most part have had great success. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Lancome and other high end makeup and skin care stuff. What I have paid for mascara alone could feed a starving child in Africa for a month. And while my frugality has paid off in terms of bringing down our overall debt, I have felt deprived.

I have not wanted to buy new clothes because I am still fat after having had the baby. There...I said it. I am fat. When I sit down, I have the "muffin top", and it just grosses me out. You can't go through life standing to keep that pant overhang from happening (and as a side note...if you DO have the muffin top while standing...you need to buy bigger shirts, and possibly consider doing some crunches or something). In addition, nothing is worse than looking at some poor woman who has deluded herself into thinking that she can fit into a 32B bra, when what she needs is a 40 D. Back fat...is not pretty fat, particularly in a stretch poly-rayon shirt. Ok...big tangent there, back to the point...

So, I am fat. I really am trying to do something about it, but I am about as sick of my clothes as I can get. I am ALMOST as sick of them as I was my maternity clothes last year. I went looking for some new stuff this past weekend and nothing "spoke to me". But yesterday I went to Dillards at lunch to check out Estee Lauders free gift with purchase. I read some reviews on one of their moisturizers and decided that I "deserved" it, afterall...I work hard. Naturally, I was pretty stoked about getting the free gift, and I generally don't make purchases like that unless they are willing to give me a bunch of other free stuff. To boot, the lady at the counter said that I had gorgeous skin. At that point, she became my new BFF, and I probably would have bought anything else she tried to sell me.

Cosmetics is near my favorite department...shoes. Back in the day, the ladies in our local Dillards new me by my first name, and would call me at work when they were having shoe sales. Imagine my surprise when I strolled past there and one of the ladies remembered me and asked "how are you doing "Ms. Autrey?". That's all I needed to hear. I have been needing a new pair of semi-dressy black shoes (to go along with the other 10+ pairs I currently own, as they are lonely), and they were having a sale on the pair that I have been coveting all winter long. I asked if they had them in my size...and it was a miracle...they did. To me...that was a sign that it was meant to be, so I bought them. I won't tell you the price...even on sale, it was still obscene. But Loreal has told me that I am worth it. And I am.

So, there I am with my new makeup...and my new shoes. But, what was I going to wear these new shoes with? Surely not those tired old black pants that have been washed about 100 times too many? It was a simple fact, I was going to need some new pants. And wouldn't you know it...I found the perfect pair in a size smaller than what I have been wearing. And since THEY fit so well, I bought them in another color, and found a cute skirt to wear to church that would also go with the shoes. But you can't have pants and a skirt...without some new shirts or blouses, anad as luck would have it...I found several that I fell in love with. I didn't get a chance to swing by and check out the new purses as I was already an HOUR late coming back from lunch, but there are at least 5 days worth of lunches next week that I can waste in the purse department.

I am not going to lie...I came back to work with a glow that typically only occurs if a "nooner" is involved.


Now...I am ready for some spring sales. BRING IT ON.

No comments: